How to Start a Development Apache Solr
I am preparing for a presentation this month on Solr and SolrNet for the Atlanta .NET User Group. Solr 5 is already out but I will be running my demos using Solr 4.10. Now that I am starting the preparation process, it really feels so good to know that starting a local Solr is SO EASY. Check out the steps which couldn’t be easier:
– Assuming you already downloaded Solr (here if you haven’t: http://lucene.apache.org/solr/downloads.html)
– Just extract into a folder. Mine is called AtlantaSolr
– Make sure you have Java running. If unsure just type java -version
– Now navigate to your Solr folder, in my case C:\Dropbox\Public Speaking\AtlantaSolrSolrNet
– Type the magic words java -jar start.jar and let it load.
– Voila! Navigate to localhost:8983/solr
It couldn’t be easier!